Measurable Ergonomics

Looking at Kawasaki's new Z1000, or Honda's new VFR1200, I wonder what their ergonomics are like.

This is one gripe I have with the moto mags ... nobody has come up with a way to describe seating position in an objective manner. We can quantify wet weight, hp, torque, displacement, gear ratios, but we haven't found a way to quantify seating position. Seems like some genius ought to figure out a way to do that...

Seat height? Bar height?

How about measuring the distance in inches that the pegs are fore or aft of the front of the seat? There's no substitute for sitting on the bike but it would give you an objective means of comparison.

If I say that my bike's pegs are 12" forward of the seat, and I notice that the new Fat Boy Lo's pegs are 18" in front of the seat, that is quantifiable, usable information.

The Hayabusa's pegs are 18" behind the front of the seat, the Speed Triples are 12" behind the front of the seat. It is an objective piece of data. Not the whole picture, but better than nothing.

I wonder if I can persuade the moto mags to add these metrics to their stats.

No comments:

Post a Comment