Who says ATGATT isn't fashion?

Darth Vader on a Speed Triple.
The Force, Good Fashion Sense, and Motorcycle Safety is with him.
(Photo courtesy pnwriders.com)




I love the folks over at pnwriders.com for assembling a collection of ATGATT photos.

I have to be honest, I cringe a little when bloggers post an article titled "ATGATT Pics". Not because I oppose ATGATT, but because I know that frequently these articles, in their attempt to persuade people to wear their gear, can have some pretty gruesome photographs. Truth is, there is no shortage of evidence, gory or otherwise, which proves that wearing protective gear when riding is a smart thing to do.

I lost a few readers there. There are some who haven't stayed with me to this point. They disagree with the basic statement that protective gear saves lives and limbs for motorcycle riders. Fact is, there's not much I can do here to change their minds.

But you're still with me, and I think that's because you agree with at least this much of what I'm saying: we "should" wear our gear. We may not always do it, but we know we should.

Do you not embrace the ATGATT way?

Do you raise objections like one of these?


1. It's too expensive.

To which I say, which is cheaper, skin grafts or protective gear?

2. It's too inconvenient.

Again, i say, which is more convenient, going to the hospital to have skin graft surgery, or putting on protective gear.


3. It's too hot.

To which I say, you should check out mesh gear! It's amazingly breezy. You can be cooler wearing gear than totally naked I kid you not.

4.I don't need it - I'm a safe rider.

You may very well be the safest rider on the road. You may take safety courses every year, you may study safety techniques, have all the latest accident avoidance on your bike. You may be the best motorcycle instructor in the land.

If you say you are, then who am I to argue? But I ask you this? Do you ride alone? I mean, is there anyone else out on the road? Is everyone out there as good a driver as you are a rider?

If not, wear your gear.


5. ATGATT isn't "cool"

Oh, now, there, you're just plain wrong. There is no limit to the look you can have while wearing ATGATT. From super hero, to stealth pilot, to professional racer, to international man of mystery. Thanks to the PNWRIDERS for providing evidence of the diversity of available gear, and the fun that you can have, while looking cool.


Check out the rest of the photos at www.pnwriders.com

2 comments:

  1. Even though I am a very good rider twice I have been hit by drivers not paying attention. Being ATGATT is why I am still able to ride today

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think motorcyclists & scooterist who ride without gear are just plain nuts. I have had an experience of becoming intimately acquainted with pavement. Low speed crash & a world of hurt afterwards. It was my first time out without full gear & my last time ever without gear. EVERY TIME I ride I wear gear. Sure it's a hassle for quick jaunts to the store, but we all know how indiscriminate pavement is, it doesn't care what you are riding or how far from home, when you fall or get hit it hurts.

    I hear people use the argument about not wearing gear or helmet saying its freedom of choice, blah, blah, blah. Here is what I say to those who use this argument - When you go out riding you are NOT the only one going along on your ride, you are taking your entire family with you each and every time. Your loved ones are the ones who literally pick up the pieces and are left to care for the blob of jello in the bed or wheelchair, so suck it up buttercup and wear the gear. Every time some fool screws up my insurance rates go up and it makes it more expensive for me to ride. In motorcycling there are only 2 choices dead or alive, if wearing gear tips the odds in my favor, then I am wearing the gear.

    ReplyDelete