Trip Report, Lust Confession


I don't care if it's 42 degrees today with gusts to 40 mph, and a chance of rain in the forecast, I needed to ride. Turtle fur and leather and all the usual gear, and a trip to the local Honda dealer, 10 miles north, and a little west of me.

True maggot fashion, my trip north and west begins with a jog south and then east. I mean, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but that doesn't appeal to us riders anyway.

The trees were actually quite lovely, bending in the wind. Didn't have any trouble as I wound my way through tree-lined back roads. But when I reached the final stretch of obligatory 6 lane megaslab, it was freaking windy. The gusts wanted to blow me over whenever I was stopped at a light.

The Honda dealer has the NT700V, the VFR1200F, both of which I studied a while. I know the Viffer would suit me fine. The dealer has sticker price and estimated monthly payment posted. Couldn't imagine paying more than a car payment for the Viffer. I think it looks cool, just couldn't swallow that sticker price.

Two full aisle of V-Twin boredom -- God help me. Chrome everything, 4 foot long straight pipes. Fuel injection and shaft drives are about the only thing these polished turds have going for them. No thank you.

The I stumble into the Kawasaki aisle, where previously I've ogled the Versys and ER-6n with envy. And here are two Ninja 500R's. How can I have never noticed this bike before? Nearly naked -- should I say scantily clad? And pretty much a standard seating position. The famous Kawi parallel twin. Snapped a photo on my camera phone, sent it to my Kawi-luving friend and said "what do you know about this bike?" He endorsed it heartily.

The dealer offered a test drive, but it was drizzling, and I didn't really want to ride a new bike in the rain for the first time. I'd rather ride it when I can put it through its paces a little better.

I'm not overly interested in a liter-bike of the sporting variety. Gas mileage for commuting suffers. The temptations are too great for my self control. This is supposed to be fun yet economical....and yet keep me from offing myself.

Back at home, I confessed my bike lust to my understanding wife, who understands my bike-slut ways, and shall we say, we have an "open garage" arrangement. I start negotiating for additional garage space.

"One bike is not enough, dear." I say.

"i *know*," she says, smiling "They're like pairs of shoes."

No fuel injection, and it still has a chain drive, but it might offer a low-budget antidote to the cruiser blahs.

Keep the Magna for road trips? Ride the ninja as my daily commuter? Trade the magna for an ancient Wing (again) as a comfortable mile-eater?

It's just infatuation at this point. Haven't test driven it yet. But, looking ain't a sin.

11 comments:

  1. I don't know you, but I like the way you and your wife think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There should be more lightweight twin-cylinder sportbikes, I think.

    Did they have any Ninja 250s? The new ones are really nice ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...! that's awesome... just wish my missus was so understanding, we would make a film together (er.. me and the bikes that is ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Landorien, they had several of the Ninja 250's, which I ogled as well. But the naked standard Ninja 500R lured me away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice write up. "open garage policy" ... nice!

    i've said it before but ... don't let that wife of yours get away. she is a rare find.

    that versys is an intriguing steed. i could see myself playing with one of those. ;j


    oh, btw, loved this

    " the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but that doesn't appeal to us riders anyway"

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you are in the market for a all-rounder, consider the Suzuki GSX650F. It's basically a 650 Bandit dressed up like a GSX-R, but it gets great reviews from both the MC press and current owners for its practicality and user-friendliness.

    If I were in the market for a standard, street bike and commuter, this would be on my short list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Think of a bike that has been around in some sort of fashion for the past 20 years. Is bulletproof, parts are readily available, fun around town, easily turned into a track bike and you have the 500R.

    It's not really a Ninja though they just added it for marketing in the mid 90's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear the Ninja name equates to higher insurance rates.

    Drop the Ninja moniker -- same bike, different name, lower rates.

    Funny how that works.

    ReplyDelete
  9. But I tell you that anyone who looks at a MOTORCYCLE lustfully has already committed A PURCHASE with her in his heart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You do need to ride one. It is not a torque monster like you are used to. But when the power comes on, just let it wind out! I had the Ninja 250 and it redlined at like 12000 rpm. The 500 has a bit lower redline due to more mass, but it's a revver too. I am an old 2-stroker, so I love 'em when they rev their nuts snd bolts off. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Since I weigh about twice as much as you, it may not be able to carry me away as fast as I'd like...

    ReplyDelete