New Bike

Call me crazy, call me a fool who's parted ways with his money. I don't care, I knew what my wife wanted and I bought it for her. I'll ride my own ride, she can ride her own ride. Honda's and Harley's can live together peacefully under the same roof.

I bought her a new Harley this week.



Tuesday night I told her I had to work late. Instead, I stopped by the Harley Dealer on 96th street after work, and browsed bikes. I'd seen a used Dyna Low Rider on their website that drew me in. As it turns out, I got a better deal on the new than I could have gotten on the used bike.

I signed all the paperwork on Tuesday night, and came back to pick the bike up after work on Wednesday.

Last night, while she and the kids were at a church meeting, I rode the bike home and parked it in the garage. I unplugged the garage door opener (like I do in the winter so nobody accidentally lets the heat out of the garage) -- so she'd have to walk in through the front door.

When she got home, I handed her a card and gift. The gift was about the size of a ring box. The card was an anniversary card -- it's our 20th anniversary this year.

She opened the box, expecting a ring. Instead, it was a key to the bike.

She looked at it with a puzzled expression, not recognizing it. The new Harley keys look like the key to a vending machine.

I said, "Read the words on the key."

Inscribed on the key were the words, "Harley Davidson".

She ran to the garage and screamed. I thought she might faint. Her knees buckled. She couldn't believe what she was seeing.

I had completely surprised her. This is something she's wanted since she was a little girl riding behind her dad on his 1978 Harley FLH Electra Glide.

I bought her a 2009 Dyna Super Glide.

She's still in shock. She hasn't ridden it yet. I'll have to peel her off the ceiling to get her to ride it.

She ain't yer typical Harley Rider. Stock pipes. ATGATT. She rides her own ride.

12 comments:

  1. Nice bike! It's no Honda though...

    I betcha that stuff starts touching sooner in turns than the Honda. You might want to reminder her of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was never in danger of dragging hard parts on the Honda, so I doubt we'll see that done on the Harley any time soon.

    Unless you count the hard-part-dragging that occurred after she hit the in-street train tracks last fall. Lean angle won't help you in that kind of dragging situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy shit - that's a beautiful story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that bike is damn sweet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the new addition to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honey, can I go for a ride on your bike? I can hear it now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You said, "Call me crazy, call me a fool who's parted ways with his money...."

    No, I'll just call you a wise man.

    Congratulations, I hope to see you both *and* her Dyna Super Glide at an event someday.

    It's all about the two wheels!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I usually suggest that a newly married man start out his first anniversary gift with summat like sand, then the next year move on to gravel, and then maybe advance to rock.

    I don't think that I'd get to a Harley in just twenty years. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on being able to provide that kind of happiness to someone you love-it can be a rare occasion in this world, and I'm sure it means more to her than "just a bike" because of what you did.

    I'm still conflicted about the Harley thing, tho'...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on a wonderful choice for her bike. I would love to have seen a vid of her surprise when she saw it. THAT woulda been priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool. I commend you on both your intelligent approach to keeping your wife happy (let the wookie win...) and your balls to proclaim it unrepentantly in these halls. I may not agree with your choice, but I applaud your "Fuck you" attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  12. heh. i was wondering who was going to cave-in first. i guess you saw there was no "hope" for her, eh?

    good on ya. i can only imagine the scene when she saw it. you are a good man, charlie brown.

    ReplyDelete