First Impressions: 2009 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide

My new Super Glide handles much more easily than I thought. While riding and taking corners, I don't notice the extra 200 pounds of weight. In fact, I haven't even given cornering a second thought (though I've been taking it very easy while getting to know the bike.) It just feels very well balanced and natural to ride. Moreso, I think, than my V30 - which feels a little taller and less solid in the corners. Could be the difference in the tires too.






The things I'm having to think about as I get used to it are the differences in the controls - specifically, the rear brake and the right turn signal. Both issues are probably just a matter of getting used to the new positions. I'm used to both signals being on the left side. On the Harley, the signals are on their respective handlebars. The right turn signal being on the right and with the throttle hand have caused me some anxious moments when I accidentally twisted the throttle when going for the signal. I'm having to practice quite a bit on that one, but I'm sure it won't be long before those throttle blips are a memory.

The torque is phenomenal. Even though I'm usually a gentle rider, I can see how it could be easy to really crank that throttle and take the rpm up higher than I'm supposed to during the break-in period. I hadn't thought it would be an issue with my riding style but it's very easy to do.

I haven't ridden it very far yet. It's been cold and rainy and there's NO WAY I'm going to experiment with it on wet pavement this early on. But with my paltry little 21 miles I've put on it on nearby streets, I can see I'm going to love the handling. This bike and I are going to be one very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment