Harley Test Drive: XR1200

My friends and I took a Harley test drive recently, and I wrote my review of the V-Rod Muscle. Dennis shares his thoughts on the XR1200.

Says Dennis:

My usual ride is a Dual-sport Suzuki DR650. This was the second time on the XR. I like it. The power is useable from low rpm to the 7500 rpm redline.

It is a little heavy on slow turns but speed up just a touch and a little counter steer and she will hug the turns.

The seat height is very low and the seat IS comfortable. The pegs are mid mounted, right where god intended them to be!

I like this bike and could live with it being my only ride. It is fun. I would miss the off road versatility of dual sport though.

Here are my 3 didn't likes:
  1. The turn signal switches on both handles. I hate that.
  2. The rear suspension doesn't have too much travel and can be harsh on bumpy Indiana roads. But it is better than the Nightster.
  3. This is a weird one. The engine was too smooth. Yes, I just said that about a HD Sportster engine. It was fuel injected and fairly quite of pipe. I HAD to use the tach to know when to shift/down shift. I am used to doing that by the seat of my pants. You just couldn't feel it on the XR.

I am going to stick with my DR650, frankly I think my DR is faster 0 - 60. Now I just need to get a Kawi dealer to let me take out a Versys!

Thanks HD for the test ride!



Dennis snapped a few photos of the four bikes we test drove. From left to right, the V-Rod Muscle, The (V-Rod) Night Rod, the Tour Glide and the XR1200.

Another view, showing another angle of the XR1200.


The XR1200 from behind.

3 comments:

  1. As for your "dislikes" ... I think the turn signals I could learn to live with. Self-cancelling is kinda nice. The engine smoothness -- that might be something you get used to as well. You're used to plenty of feedback from that thumper you're riding today. But that suspension travel, that might be a deal-breaker. Don't know if that's fixable or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That right turn signal switch just screwed up my throttle "skills" everytime I used it.
    Lest ye not forget that I am of the 2-stroke children. I need to get my buzz on. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, and you're a big customer of loctite, too! I forgot.

    ReplyDelete