Motorcycles In Church

I remember an article in Trains magazine years ago called "Trains In Church". The author, a railroad enthusiast, recalled the Sunday mornings of his youth, stuck in a boring church service, in a church which was within earshot of the L&N Mainline. He'd listen to the whistle and chuff of the steam locomotives, and wish he were down by the rail yard, watching them go by, instead of sitting in church.

To pass the time, he'd look for railroad references in the Bible, and in the hymnal.

The song: "Bless be the tie that binds" referred in his mind to the cross ties on the railroad.

And the passage in Isaiah, "I saw the Lord, He was high and lifted up, and His great train filled the temple..."

I find myself a grown man, my passion has moved from trains to motorcycles. Though I still enjoy trains, I can't ride them every day like I can motorcycles...

And I am sitting in church, listening to the sounds of motorcycles passing outside on a sunny Sunday morning, looking forward to taking a ride.

And then we sing a hymn, a page from my childhood. And I hear the phrase ...

"I dare not trust the sweetest frame, but wholly lean on Jesus' name"

And I think, yeah, that new Ducati has a very sweet frame! But I'd better not place my trust in it.

I'm halfway there. Halfway to my "Motorcycles In Church" article. I just need some scripture which reference motorcycles in some way.

1 comment: