The Next Step

I find myself dissatisfied with my riding experience, lately.

I can't find the cause. It started with the infamous "Slide Into Spring" ride with Dennis and Bob, where I was markedly slower than them and the trip ended up with me being separated from them.

I feel my skills have reached a plateau, although this is very hard to gauge. I ride alone most of the time, commuting back and forth to work, 30 miles round trip. It's really not until I ride with the group that I have any basis of comparison.

And by comparison, I suck!

But I shouldn't base my enjoyment of my ride by comparing myself to others. I ride for me, and I am not the type of person to feel compelled to compete.

But lately I've felt the bike and I have been ... out of tune. It could be that I haven't logged as many miles this year as I did a few years ago. And my annual mileage last year was exceptionally low, owing to health problems.

But there's been a lack of smoothness in my shifting, my speed transitions. There's been some harshness in my ride transmitted to me through the suspension.

Should I be looking for a cause of this feeling within the bike? Or, should I look for it within myself?

Honestly, I lot of this strangeness of handling probably comes from the windshield. I only use the shield on long road trips, or very cold mornings. But I've added a new shield, which is a traditional fork-mounted tombstone-type windshield -- a Memphis Fats. I've heard that large, fork-mounted windshields affect handling. In fact, I think this may have been a big factor for a friend who sold his cruiser in favor of a dual sport.

But I really need the shield on the Magna on highway runs.

I guess before I do something drastic, like selling my bike, I should simply ride for a week without the windshield, and see how it feels. If the awkwardness in handling continues, I should seek professional help -- and by that I mean a professional riding course!

If the handling improves but the general feeling of dissatisfaction remains, what does this mean? Should I be looking for a different bike, or trying to enhance my skills.

What is the next step?

13 comments:

  1. It could be lot's of things...
    1. Find a new place to ride.
    2. Don't ride for a few weeks, even if it is nice out. It will make you want to ride again.
    3. Test ride some other bikes and compare. I will be glad to let you ride mine if you want.
    4. Ride with the shield off.
    5. Are the shocks and springs on your bike shot? Replace the shocks and get new springs and oil in the front.
    6. Take an advanced MSF course.
    7. Have someone watch the kids and you and your wife plan a weekend ride and romantic evening.
    8. Do you suffer from allergies. This has been a horrible year. I have rode very little due to being foggy and dizzy or bad headaches.
    9. When was the last time you had your vision checked? This has impacted my riding before.
    10. Maybe it is time for a different type of bike. More of a sportbike, tourer, or full on cruiser, or heaven forbid, an adventure/DS bike. :-)
    11. Don't commute to work. Just ride for fun when you feel like it. I go through this each year.
    In the end, as you know, it is your choice.
    BTW - Let me know if you want to try the DR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember the 2007 Brown County ride. You, Bob and Brian got way out in front of me on SR58.
    I was a little concerned about that. But you know what, I just thought, the heck with it. I am just going to ride at the speed that I am comfortable. I can find my way home. :-)
    My bike was geared down for dirt and no shield and it was very windy. Ride how YOU want to ride, not how the other idiots (me) ride.
    Seriously look at the suspension on your bike.
    If you have over 15,000 miles on it, it probably needs freshened up. And not to be insulting, but is your overall riding weight up from previous years? You may need some additional spring preload. I put new, stiffer, springs in the front of mine this year and tightened up the back. It fells like a new bike. It came to life on Brummets Creek road with the tight turns, bumps and dirt. I was amazed. But that is what it is supposed to be good at. If you ask me to go on a 300 mile ride on milder road, I would be shot at the end. You, however, would probably be in fairly good shape since your ride is designed for more comfort over longer distances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your feedback. You're right, my bike has over 15k on the clock, and I'm about 20 pounds heavier than I was in 2007. Eeks. Probably due for a suspension tune-up or upgrade.

    And "ride how YOU want to ride" is great advice. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I teach the ERC (as other MSF courses). It's always worth re-taking the ERC every few years - we ALL develop bad habits over time. You also may want to look at the new MSF ARC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. +1 to that. The course tends to be pretty fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. FWIW, the FAA requires licensed pilots to take a Biennial Flight Review. Airline pilots (ATP license) do this more often but the rest
    of us folks get to hire a flight instructor every two years. There is no exam per se but the flight review is sort of open ended and up
    to the judgement of the flight instructor and of course how many bad habits you've picked up.

    An outside opinion is a good thing if you want to ride closer to the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. More riding classes can always help, but you only get better with hours and hours of practice. As a commuter you only get good at
    commuting.....and as you prolly are repeating the route to work and back adnauseam you don't experience the unexpected very often or
    differing conditions much.

    The best thing for improving your riding skills would be track days if you can afford them.

    Truthfully.....you aren't going to get any better at sport riding without miles and miles of practice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Take the skills you have and be happy with them.....you won't get appreciable better without many hours of practice. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. The problem is your commute doesn't improve rider skills beyond a certain point. It'll certainly improve awareness skills and probably
    (somewhat unfortunately due to the circumstance) braking skills, but if your commute is on typical commute-type roads they are nothing like
    the roads you'll encounter when you're out scratching with the peg-draggers.

    To improve cornering, acceleration, and braking, you need to take rides on the backroads. I highly recommend a course to give you the
    necessary materials then go practice what you learned.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The advice of track days is wonderful. There is nothing that can replace one-on-one teaching. As track days are too expensive for my budget, I read as much as I can. "Sport Riding Techniques" by Nick Ienatsch and "Twist the Wrist II" by Keith Code are good books. They are geared for the track, but most of the techniques can be adapted for the street.

    The two authors differ on the primary method of negotiating a turn though. Simplified:

    - Nick advocates full speed and braking hard right up until the point of turn in.

    - Keith advocates full speed and then braking to set your speed for the entire turn before the bike leans.

    Before I read "Twist of the Wrist II", I thought there was only one way to go through a turn. And I never knew how important the throttle was...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read a book right before riding season starts and learn/realize something new every time. Then I go practice it - along with my slow speed manoeuvres and panic stops. So by the time riding season is in full swing ... so am I.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was given a copy of "Total Control." After reading it, I came to the conclusion that by giving me a go-fast book, my girlfriend was actually trying to kill me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As I predicted, riding without a windshield made a world of difference. See Another Step Closer. The enjoyment is back!

    ReplyDelete