Mysterious rebooting ST1300

I've finally gotten some saddle time on my ST1300, and I will say I
love it.  I can't say enough good things about it. 

Last night as I returned home, I paused outside the garage door, bike
idling, clutch pulled in with my left hand while my right hand fumbled
in my jacket pocket for my garage door opener.

The bike died abruptly.  I hit the starter again to pull into the
garage and noticed that the computer had reset.  Clock was reset back
to 1:00, trip meter was zero.

What the heck?

This is the second time it has happened, both times at the same
location, both while I was fumbling for the opener.

Could the garage door opener interfere with the bike?

Today I took a ride again.  I parked the bike in a parking lot and let it sit for about an hour.  When I returned to the bike, I started it and let it idle.  It idled for about 2 minutes and then did its mysterious reboot again.

Well, that rules out the garage door opener theory. 



Maybe it's a loose battery cable?  Maybe it's a loose something else?  Maybe there's a glitch in the main computer. 

If it were just the clock and trip meter resetting I wouldn't care.  But the bike is also dying, abruptly, as if I had hit the kill switch.  I don't want to have to worry about the bike dying while I'm riding in traffic.  I don't want to be on pins and needles worrying whether it'll die at the most inopportune time.

The first step is to check the battery connectors.

1 comment:

  1. Ground cap recall on 04 models may be the problem here.

    Ground cap situated under the fuel tank causes electrical failure you describe.

    Search and find..... or consult dealer, if it hasn't been done it should be done by dealer FOC.

    Ground Cap Recall

    Found it.

    ReplyDelete