Modern Safety Feature

Mrs.  Rat and I went for a ride yesterday.  As I was backing out of the garage, I had the bike in neutral and the motor idling. I tapped the shifter with my left foot and the bike immediately turned off.  I had left the kickstand down.  

My wife looked puzzled. Could it be she had never made that mistake? Never left the kickstand down and engaged the transmission?!?  I explained that I had left the kickstand down and when the bike went into gear, the motor shut off.   'It's a safety feature,' I explained.   'I'm sure your bike has it too.'    I restarted my bike and we took off on our ride.  

Later, at a has stop, my wife tried an experiment to see whether it worked or not.  She announced, 'My kickstand has nothing to do with my motor.  I can put the bike in gear with the stand down and it'll keep running. '               i was suprised.   

I said, 'Oh really?  I thought all modern bikes had that feature. '       

She raised an eyebrow and studied my expression.  Was I making a snide comment about her bike?  

It hadn't crossed my mind.  I wasn't saying, 'All modern bikes have this feature . . . If your Harley doesn't have that feature, it must be a relic!'

She could see in my countenance I meant no disrespect.

No comments:

Post a Comment