Reflections On Life and Motorcycles

Trip To Madison, IN
My wife and I took a motorcycle trip to Madison, IN in early June. This blog post is part of a series which presents each step of our journey. If you missed the beginning, the story starts here.





Mrs. Rat and I stopped at the bank on our way out of town. While there, a gentleman pulled up next to us in a sedate sedan. He was in his mid fifties.

He was drawn immediately to our bikes. 'You guys heading out on the highway?' he asked.

'Yes,' we replied.

'Where are you going?' he asked.

'Madison,' we replied.

He drew closer to my bike and studied the dash for a minute. 'How many cylinders does it have?' he asked. 'Mine has four, hers has two,' I replied, gesturing at my wife's Harley.

He was uninterested in the Hog and his focus quickly returned to my ST.

'Is it liquid cooled?' he asked.

These weren't typical questions. This guy surely had some history, or at least a genuine fascination, with motorcycles.

'Do you ride?' I asked.

'No, he replied wistfully.

'You should do it!' I said, enthusiastically. This same advice was given me by a friend and coworker in 2003; the next year I finally did it.

'My parents said if I got a bike they'd take an axe to it first, and them turn it on me.'

I wanted to say, 'Man, don't go through life this way. You will end it filled with regrets. 

You're a grown up. I don't know what control your parents had over you when you were younger, but those old voices saying, "Don't do it!" are all just ghosts now. 

Do not listen to the folks who tell you they are unsafe, that you can't or shouldn't do it. 

Do it now while you still can.'

Suddenly I felt affirmed by my own life choices. I'm glad I took the risk, and threw my leg over a motorcycle. I'm happy riding is part of my life.

Don't let it pass you by.

No comments:

Post a Comment