Priceless

At the time I installed the saddlebags, I could've written it like this -- in imitation of the famous "Mastercard" advertisements of a decade ago:

  • Turn Signal Replacement kit:  $300
  • Harley Davidson Hard Bags:  $700
  • Harley Davidson installation Fee:  $300
  • Having a place to carry milk home from the grocery store in style, while soccer mom's watch from their mini-vans in envy:  Priceless

I told the story of the saddlebag installation in an earlier blog entry.  I'm not a very good mechanic.  

I saved the installation fee by doing it myself, and we were off and running.  My wife put the saddlebags to practical use.  Not that the bike was an errand-running machine, but she did find it handy to bring home a box of doughnuts or a gallon of milk while out on a ride. 

Then this year, 3 years later, my wife's bike developed a quirk in the turn signals.  The left turn signal would blink rapidly - even though no burned out bulbs.  And a warning light appeared on the "dash".

I've been pretty busy at work, and haven't had time to turn a wrench.  We ended up sending my wife's bike to the Harley Dealership for an oil change in preparation for an up-coming trip.  And, in the process, could you please look at the turn signal situation.

So, again in the style of the famous "MasterCard" ad campaign:

  • Replacement wire:  $7.00
  • Replacement bolts:  $1.34
  • Labor to replace damaged wiring harness:  $70.00
  • Being able to pay someone else to fix your mistakes:  Priceless

Over the three years the wiring I had installed became frayed, and eventually began to short out on the rear fender.  The service desk at the Harley Dealership said matter of factly:  The turn signal relocation kit was installed incorrectly.

I said, "I have no doubt of that, says the dumbass who installed it."

He grinned, and with grace that allowed me to save face, said, "Well, we learn by doing, don't we."

He was right.  I don't regret it.  I'm proud for getting three years of service out of my wiring job, and not at all disappointed that it cost me $78.34 to fix my mistake.

Sometimes it's great to be able to write a check and have someone else clean up your mess. 







No comments:

Post a Comment