Bugs On The Windshield

You know, you really should clean off the bugs that spatter on your windshield as soon as you get home from your ride.


Whatever you do, you shouldn't forget, let them sit on the windshield for days, then ride the bike again with a dirty shield, and park the bike in the hot sun, and bake the bugs on the windshield.

You should never do that.

I should never have done that.

These are acrylic windshields, not glass.  The owners manual specifically says "avoid cleaners containing petroleum distillates".  I checked every cleaner in the house.  As if they knew what I was looking for, each one had a big bold disclaimer right on the label:  "Contains Petroleum Distillates".

Was out for a ride today, and happened by a Harley Davidson dealership.  It occurred to me -- I bet if anybody is an expert in cleaning and polishing a bike, it'd be the folks at HD.  Making a bike that handles in the corners?  Maybe not, but cleaning a bike, these are your guys.

I found it straight away:  HD Bug Spray.  No petroleum distillates.  Isopropyl alcohol which is okay for acrylics.

Took the baked on bugs right off.

I'm sure other places have cheaper isopropyl alcohol; I'm sure I paid a premium for the name.  But I got something that works, and I'm happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment