Won't Start

Bought a new filter and oil and was gonna change the oil. Backed the truck out of the garage to make room. Tried to fire up the bike because it's easier to move it around the garage with the engine running than with the engine off. It's a bit of a manatee on land in that regard.

Darn thing wouldn't start. What's up with that?

I know three things are needed for it to run: fuel, spark and compression.

The fuel is a brand new tank of gas; I filled it up yesterday. I suppose the fuel filter could be clogged. I could pull the fuel line at the carbs and see if fuel pumps out when the engine cranks. Of course, I know how to do this on the V30 but have never done it on the Wing.

I had planned to replace the plugs, let me go ahead and change them, and check for spark while I'm at it.

Spark is good. New plugs.

Battery is fine, it is cranking the bike over and over. I did go ahead and pull it out, clean it off and top it off with distilled water. Put it back in.

Pull out the choke and crank the bike again. Vroom it starts right up.

That was strange -- those plugs were fine yesterday, they couldn't have gone bad overnight. I will have to keep an eye on this. I think there might be a bad spot on the kill switch, causing the bike to be in "kill mode" even though the switch is in "run" mode. If so, that'll just need to have the contact points cleaned in that switch.

No comments:

Post a Comment