Lean Runner and Pilot Air Screw Tweakage

The New Magna has been running way lean, way hot. Exhaust is really bluing badly. Worse than when I bought it. Plastic side covers are starting to bubble on the edge where they are nearest the exhaust.

Got the pilot screw tool for the New Magna. Pulled the carbs off, cleaned the piilot air passageways, which were clogged on two of the four carbs.

Instructions from MOOT for the new magna said, stock exhaust, 2 1/2 turns out. I tried this.

At this point, Jets, idle circuit and choke circuit have all been cleaned by me.

Put the carbs back on the bike, buttoned it back up. Changed the plugs. Took it for a ride. It was still running way lean. Bike was backfiring a lot on deceleration. I donned leather gloves and reached in to adjust the pilot air screws while the bike was idling.

As someone suggested, asbestos, spiderlike fingers would be perfect for this job.

There was a marked improvement in backfiring as I gave backed out the pilot screw an additional 1/2 turn. The idle surging dropped from 300-500 rpm to maybe 100 rpm. Particularly on carbs 3 and 4, the rpms increased and the surging and backfiring decreased with the extra 1/2 turn.

I'm still getting a little backfiring on decel. Carbs are perfectly balanced.

MOOT says if more than 3 1/2 turns out on the pilot screw are needed, switch to a bigger pilot jet. I experimented with up to 3 1/2 turns out on the pilot screws, and didn't notice as significant an improvement.

I'm wondering whether I measured the pilot screws properly when I started turning them out. I had replaced the rubber gaskets and turned the screw until it felt firm. I knew not to seat it tightly or I'd damage the gasket. Since this was a somewhat arbitrary starting point, I don't know if these pilot screws are truly "3 turns out" or not.

I'd welcome any suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment