Aborted Carb Sync

My JC Whitney four-way carb sync tool shows all four carbs, including the base carb, at 0. The reading on the dial says "Improper valve timing or intake manifold leak".

I think I knew that, but since I'm getting that reading on the base carb there's nothing to sync to.

Since the surging behavior (fluctuation of 500 rpm) is identical to before I cleaned the jets, I presume it is not the jets. However, I suppose it could be a leak somewhere in the carb system.

When the bike is cold, it idles at 1100 rpm. When it has been running for 15 minutes, it idles at 3,000. I end up adjusting the idle speed down after the bike is hot.

I did neglect the pilot air screws when I had the carbs off. I know: Me = Dumbass.

Do the symptoms I describe sound like a "remove the pilot air screws, clean the idle circuit, and adjust the pilot air screws" type situation, or does it sound like something else?

I pulled the plug wires one by one while the bike was running. (Never disconnected more than one at a time.)

I noticed that the bike would stall when I pulled wires for cylinder 1 or 2, but bike did not stall when I pulled the plug wires for cylinder 3 or 4. I do have strong spark at all four cylinders.

No comments:

Post a Comment