Pilot Screws

I was reading information on Magna carbs that pertained to first generation, 1980's era, Magnas and Sabres. I was trying to locate the pilot screws, which on the earlier Magnas are covered with a plastic cap and need to be drilled out in order to be removed, cleaned and replaced.

Thankfully, before I started drilling, Dave warned me that the 3rd gen Magnas don't have plugs covering the pilot screws. Instead, they have a "D" shaped head (to make them tamper proof) and require a special socket to remove and/or adjust.

You will need to remove the pilot screws to fully clean the idle circuit.

Oops. Oddly there are a couple spots that look like plugs to me. It's a damn good thing I didn't start drilling. Of course Honda Manual says nothing about removing or drilling the pilot screws. I'll have to see about getting a special socket, or making one or something?

The slow jets (idle jets) have a slot head and are removeable. The pressed-in jets are for the choke circuit. The best way to clean them is to use a small wire (real small) as a probe. Also the clean the choke circuit properly, you should remove the choke plungers from the side of each carb so you can spray cleaner thru the circuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment