Carbs Cleaned, but it still surges

The continuing saga of my 1994 VF750C. Carbs have been cleaned.

Starts much easier, but this bike still surges. It surges at idle, fluctuating about 300-500 rpm, and it even surges under load. Surging is worse when bike was warm.

Still backfires under deceleration. Backfires more when warm. (As opposed to before cleaning the carbs, when it backfired more when it was cold.)

I did spray WD40 around the carbs when it was idling, looking for a correlation to surging. There was no surging related to the spray. I think this proves that there is no vacuum leak?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. In retrospect, I should have removed the pilot screws and cleaned the idle circuit on the carbs while I had the carbs off.

    I was tired of waiting for the correct tool -- which took longer than I expected to arrive. And I talked myself into thinking that the circuit didn't really need to be cleaned.

    Now that I'm having problems, I wish I could have the peace of mind of knowing that the carbs had been fully cleaned in every way possible. So I could eliminate that variable from consideration.

    But since I did not remove and inspect the pilot screws, I can't be certain that there wasn't a problem there.

    I still think I will press ahead with the carb synchronization.

    I will also replace the plugs.

    ReplyDelete