Junky Jets

Just like y'all said, the carb slow jets were clogged, not all the way, and I blew them out with carb cleaner and have them soaking right now.If I hadn't cracked that plastic fuel-line T on the way out, I'd be seating the carbs first thing in the morning after a good long soak. As it is I'll have to shop for an OEM part.All in all though the carbs really do not look that bad. I've seen varnished carbs on a HD that sat for 10 years after my father-in-law's death....these are nothing like that.I am not doing a complete disassembly here, just cleaning the jets.The pilot needles have never been drilled out. I don't suspect any problem with the float valves either. Do I need to mess with them at all?And those smooth so-called pressed-in idle jets that Honda says are removeable but everyone else says they aren't ... what do you typically do to them. I tried spraying with carb cleaner but cannot see daylight, nor any holes.

4 comments:

  1. Soaking isn't a good idea if it is the dip can type of carb cleaner.

    That will f up all the other rings in the carb. Pull them out of the dip and shoot those idle jet holes from the insideof the carb body. Blow it out resl good and put it back on with cleaned low speed jets

    Otherwise get new orings pull the plugs covering the idle jets, and do the job right like ozzie says.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Based on the state of the carbs, I'm doing a carb cleaning "lite" --
    basically jets only.

    I'm not soaking the whole carb rack, I'm only soaking the jets.
    I sprayed through the passages in the carb.

    If I'm not soaking the rack, I hopefully won't have farkled the o-rings. Knock on wood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool on the soaking deal. Most carbs today only get the low speed jet plugging up. Clean those as you have done, Put a little gasket sealer on the float bowl and re-assemble. You will be good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Depending on how Thick the gunk is, you can sometimes clean those holes without damaging (enlarging) yhe holes by the following method.
    Carb cleaner to start which helps loosen said gunk. I then take a piece of MULTI-STRAND copper wire and strip back several inches, then cut off one single strand of the wire and use it to "DRILL" though the gunk.

    Obviously multi-strand wires come in various strand diameters and you need to use one appropriately sized. The soft copper sometimes is too soft and may not be able to punch through the gunk but at least it will not damage the Brass fittings. It doesn't always work but its great when it does.

    Multiple attacks with Carb cleaner, then compressed air and the copper wire Drill might eventually get through the stubborn stuff.

    ReplyDelete