Suffering Feet

Went on a 250 mile tour with 3 friends/former coworkers on Saturday (BMW R1150R, Honda VF750C, Suzuki DR650), discovering some great motorcycle roads.

My biggest complaint from the ride is my tired feet. After about an hour in the saddle my feet would be so tired of hangin off the footpegs. I ended up trying to work my toes, point them up, point them down, over and over again, just to keep my feet from aching.

I'm wearing cheap general purpose leather boots ... not moto specific boots. They are extremely comfortable boots, i can and do wear them all day, and walk for miles in them.

I'm wondering what I need to change to fix this. I don't know if the pain is caused by balancing my size 11's, with a flexible rubber sole, across a magna footpeg. I will have to experiment with some options. I suppose I could try running boards (SHUDDER!) or forward controls, highway pegs, or maybe better boots.

Anybody have any experience with this that could shed some light?

10 comments:

  1. Personally, I ride my bike with the balls of my feet on the pegs. I have to move them to hit brake/shifter, but it's MUCH easier to shift weight left, right or up and might cure your problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, switch to tennis shoes........Bhrahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find moto boots to be much better for riding.The sole is stiffer and the toe is reinforced where it engages the shift.The downsides are they are warm-I have sweatty feet,and even the vented ones get warm when stopped.They are not anything special to walk in either so I usually bring a change withif I anticipate much walking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thicker footpegs like those off a GL and keeping your toes on the pegs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a similar problem with my feet bothering me on extended rides and once I switched to a MC specific boot (Sidi way tepor's) I haven't had the problem since. As far as walking goes, I spent the entire week in my Sidi's last year at Americade and other than the usual soreness that I get with any shoe after wearing them for a long period of time, my feet felt pretty good. I've tried on a lot of MC specific boots and for me there's no comparison to Sidi's. My next boot will probably be the Sidi On The Roads.
    Don't be shocked by the price, you can get them considerably cheaper than this, it's just a good site for pics and reviews. Well, good luck with finding the right boot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are your pegs round or flat on the top? Rounded ones will sometimes make your feet sore.
    If they are flat on the top you might want little wider pegs too, fore to aft width that is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Think seriously about some new pegs. You can find wider pegs that will help without having to resort to boards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh and thicker boot soles to support the arch on the pegs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you were a real biker, you wouldn't be complaining. Live to ride....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bet a VRod wouldn't hurt your feet.

    ReplyDelete