German Engineering

Really enjoyed riding those BMW bikes yesterday, despite the misfortune on the way home.

I felt right at home the instant I got on them, unlike the Speed Triple. I'm not into the sport bike posture.

I liked the R1200R but don't think I'll be able to afford it. The F650GS was okay and more affordable -- under 10k, but not as peppy as what I have now, so what's the point?

Funny story ... the salesman started up the R1200R, gave me a quick overview, and went back inside. Before I pulled away I noticed a flashing light on the dash that read "Brake Failure". I left the bike running, went back inside and spoke to the salesman.

"I noticed there was a 'Brake Failure' light on the dash."

"Oh, that!" he said, "If it's blinking it means you're sitting still and the brakes aren't engaged. If it stays on, it means there's a 'Brake Failure'. I don't know why they did it that way."

Crazy Germans!

Oh, and I had the hardest time getting used to the turn signals. They don't work like every other bike I've ever ridden. To turn on the left signal, hit a button on the left handle. Right turn signal is a button on the right. To cancel the turn signals is a button, above the turn signal button, on the right handle. Just distracting, I'm not sure what the rationale was for this design decision, but I'm sure, like everything else, I would just get used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment