I wrecked it today!

I give myself a dumbass award today. I'll tell you about it, but first, the backstory.

I took a little ride today to my local Triumph dealer. I test drove the Speed Triple, and while I liked the power curve, and I already knew I liked the looks of it, I decided the seating position doesn't suit me. At least, the stock position.

While I was there, I stopped into the BMW dealership next door and test drove the R1200R and the F650GS. i loved the handling and the power of the R1200R, though I was surprised at the vibration at idle. The F650 did surprisingly well, and seems like an able commuter bike, which would suit me well. I think the BMW "Beak" front end is fugly, however.

As I was riding the third bike, the F650GS, it started to rain. I didn't mind much. Came back to the dealership and talked dollars and cents, monthly payments, etc. Took his card and told him I'd check with "the minister of finance" and get back to him. Very low key ... they must hear this every day.

On to the dumbass award...

Back onto my own bike, the rain still falling gently. A 20 mile ride back home through city streets. Coming up to an intersection, I faced a red light. I moved into the right turn lane and glanced to my left as I braked gently to a stop. I was going maybe 20 mph.

Fwoop. Suddenly I'm on my right side, my bike grinding to a stop on its side. What happened?

My right leg pinned under the bike. The woman behind me stopped her car, got out and ran toward me. "Are you okay?"

A sharp pain in my right side, where my elbow jabbed into my ribcage when I landed. "I'm okay."

"It's leaking!" she yelled, "It's leaking gas!" She sounded frightened, ran back to her car, and left. Afraid it was gonna blow, I suppose.

I freed my leg from under the bike and stood up.

A remembered Skert's lesson on lifiting a bike, and began to pick it up. A man stopped his white Humvee behind me, hazards on, ran to me and helped me pick up the bike. He caught it as I lifted it, ensuring it wouldn't topple over when I righted it.

We looked over the damage.

Driver and passenger pegs on the right side mangled. Mufflers scratched a little on the right side. My new levers were unscathed, as was the grip. The windshield was scratched, and the brackets bent. The handlebars are cockeyed -- when I'm driving the bike straight, the handlebars are turned slightly to the right.

A cop stop and asked if I was okay, asked what happened. I said I slipped on an oil slick, pointed it out to him. He asked if I was okay, I said yes.

Cranked the bike for about a minute. It started. I imagine it was flooded at first.

Rode the bike home, without event.

Further inspection shows a goose-egg on my elbow, no broken bones. My helmet smacked the pavement, so I'll be buying a new one. Right shoulder of my leather jacket scuffed

I Just offer this as a reminder ... watch for oil slicks in the rain. I know this, I am always extra careful in the rain, but in a moment it got away from me.

Be careful out there.

I'm thankful it didn't happen on the test drives ... I plan on going back and test driving other Triumphs in the future -- a stupid stunt like that might've blacklisted me.

11 comments:

  1. It wasn't until after I posted this that I discovered the irony of the sequence of posts. This story was supposed to be about a trip to test drive bikes... and I ended up crashing. The story immediately prior to this one was a study that showed that riders who switch bikes are more likely to crash.

    This is common sense to me -- a new bike means less familiarity with its handling, which means greater margin for error.

    At least I didn't wreck one of the bikes on the test drive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you weren't hurt seriously, bike either. Seems like there is always a lesson that needs to be learned over again. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about this misfortune, but am glad you're ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Think about the opportunity in this. It's a great time to install forward controls and transform the bike into a different, more comfortable machine. This small improvement might make your bike a keeper and end up saving you from spending thousands on a new bike :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're OK. Too bad you had to put up with a frantic woman. Question, did you over use the back brake or the front brake? I usually have bigger problems with over using one side or the other. The only thing scarier than an oil slick is freshly treated blacktop right after a rainstorm. It doesn't matter which brake you use or whether you use brakes at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The frantic woman was just sort of comic relief for me at the moment. She faints at a pint of spilled gasoline! LOL.

    My front wheel slipped out from under me; I'm sure I grabbed too much front brake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you didn't get hurt too bad. These things could happen at any time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The damage really isn't that bad. Amazing the bike can slide down asphalt and still get only a few scratches.

    I'm trying to figure out the twisted handlebars. I can't figure out what is twisted. The handlebars don't look bent. It looks almost like it has to be the risers that are bent. I'm gonna have to study it closer, measure, or something. Maybe this is my excuse to get pullback risers like I've been wanting....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe the risers are bent. There are rubber mounts in the triple tree head - maybe one of those is buggered? I don't know how likely it is, but maybe the forks are out of alignment now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm afraid it's the forks but I'm not sure.

    If so hopefully just out of alignment and not bent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I generally confess my mistakes when they are a) mistakes and b) suitable warnings to others.

    My life's not useless no matter how much I screw up. I can always have a purpose -- to serve as a warning to others.

    ReplyDelete