Craig Ferguson crashes a Harley-Davidson V-Rod

It's old news, if it's news at all.  But TV's Craig Ferguson, host of CBS's "The Late Late Show" recently gave details of his Harley Davidson V-ROD crash, in England.  He's an experienced motorcyclist, and owner of an Indian motorcycle.  But apparently on a visit to England several years ago, he rented a HD V-ROD, and wrecked it.

He mentioned the accident on his show recently, when the topic of cracked ribs came up in conversation.

In his words, "The Harley V-ROD doesn't like to turn."  Then, apparently thinking better of disparaging the product of a potential sponsor, he said, "Okay, it was my fault."



"I was going around a corner and I turned, and the bike didn't.  I broke three ribs and my collar bone.  And it was springtime in England, and I discovered I had pollen allergies.  Let me tell you, sneezing with broken ribs is a good way to invent new cuss words."

Like a true comedian, he turned his misfortune into laughs for the audience.  And like a true corporate guy, he deflected the produce defamation into self-deprecation, for the sake of the corporations involved.



The cracked rib discussion appears at about 4:45 into this segment on YouTube.

But if truth be told, I think he's right about the bike.  Following my own test drive of the V-Rod last year, I didn't give it points for handling or comfort. 

Of course, Craig rightly also blames himself.  Shame on him, as a rider on an unfamiliar bike, for putting himself into a position where he was outside his skill level.  Next time he jumps on a rental, I bet he'll make allowances for the differences in the handling and performance of the bike.  He'll be careful!

1 comment:

  1. Good clip. Thanks for sharing it.
    You are so right about getting to know a bike before pushing it very hard. That bites a lot of people, thinking that they all handle the same.

    ReplyDelete