ABS or no ABS?

A good friend of mind says ABS on motorcycles is evil, it encourages a rider to ride outside of his skill level.

Having been mauled in a car accident before (while in a cage myself, long before my motorcycling days...) I'm a big fan of safety equipment. 


When I bought my current cage -- a Dodge Intrepid -- I visited more than half-a-dozen used car lots trying to find one with ABS.  It was the only real must-have feature I had on my shopping list.  More important than leather seats or premium sound. 

So, now that I'm in the market for an ST1300, which comes with an available ABS package, why wouldn't I buy one with ABS?

I've read what other riders have written on the subject. 

It's a lively debate.  But I'm not yet sure where I'll wind up on this topic.

Obviously, safety gear is important, but it's also true that the most important safety precaution is being a prepared rider, with well-honed skills.  No technology can replace that.

3 comments:

  1. I hope that I wasn't the one that said that about ABS. I am a bit of a luddite when it comes to too much tech on a bike. My BIG concern with ABS is if it allows you to turn it off. If you are ever going to be hitting a lot of gravel or dirt roads, you will get stopped faster with ABS off. I would hate to have ABS kicking in if I am going down a steep gravel road with a busy highway at the bottom of the hill. But for street only travel it is probably a good thing. The other minor issue I have, is that it has the potential to complicate doing your own maintenance and repairs. But if I was buying that new Concours (my preference) :) I would be probably spring for the ABS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, not you. I was kind of curious where your thoughts were about ABS, given what you had recently said about moto technology in general.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I really dislike gravel roads, I can't see myself getting into a position like that .... barrelling down a steep gravel road emptying out onto a highway. If I were on a gravel road, I'd be going pretty slow ... even slower than my usual pace. ;-)

    Unless I ever get a dual sport. One of those I wouldn't mind taking on dirt or gravel.

    ReplyDelete