Riding the Magna, Anew


How strange it was to ride my Magna again, after having become accustomed to the ST1300. Since the Magna hasn't sold yet, and is licensed and registered, I figured I would ride it to work. I want to keep it happy until I'm able to sell it. Here are my thoughts on riding my old bike anew.

One. What a rush. What a quick bike off the line. With no windshield, the blast of air was exhilarating.

Two. How did I ever endure that seating position? Feet so far forward compared to the ST. All my weight on my spine. I worried the ST would uncomfortable. Now I see it's more comfortable than the Magna.

Three. Turn baby turn. What the heck is wrong with the steering geometry on this bike. The ST turns effortlessly. The worse turning bike I've ever ridden was the V Rod Muscle. By comparison to the two . . . ST and V Rod . . . The Magna is squarely in the middle. Better than the Harley at turning a corner, but cumbersome compared to the ST.

Four. A chain isn't so bad.  I welcome the maintenance free aspect of the ST's shaft drive, but I have noticed some drive-train lash.  A feeling of sloppiness in transitions from deceleration to acceleration.  That, I guess, comes with the territory for shaft drives.  The Magna, by comparison, with its chain drive, is smooth in transition from deceleration to acceleration.  Like a dream.

1 comment:

  1. Nice bike! May I ask how much you are selling it for?

    ReplyDelete