I really am a dufus!

A friend of mine called me up the other night and asked if I'd
come help him fix his scooter.  He owns a Chinese piece-of-crap
scooter which had been sitting all year.  He finally got it up and
running, and was hoping to ride it to work the next day.  He
discovered the front brake lever went all the way to the grip with no
resistance.  He called me up for help with his brakes.

I headed over to his house.  Weather was nice so I decided to hop on
the ST1300 to ride over.  Bike had been sitting for a while. 

When I went to start my bike, there was a definite hesitation while it
cranked before it started.  It was enough of a lag for me to notice.
But it eventually started, and I went on my way.  He lives a mile from
my house.

Over to his house, working by flashlight in his driveway, discovered
his brake fluid was dark and sludgy at the master cylinder.  Bled his
brakes and resuscitated them.  He was grateful.

We said our goodbyes, he went into his house and I went back to my bike.

Total darkness.  Key in ignition, dash and headlight on.  Press the
start button...nothing.  Key off and back on... Still no worky.

"Oh no!".  My battery must have been too weak to start me up twice
without ample charging time in between.

Well, heck, I should be able to bump start this motor.  Paddling my
feet and trying to shoosh the bike along a dark suburban steet.  Pop
the clutch and ... Nothing.

I tried this several more times.  No dice.

I called my friend (rather than waking his whole fam by knocking on
the door).  He came back outside, agreed to help me push start the
bike.

We tried a few more times, with no luck.

I had the easy job.  He was huffing and puffing and sweating by the
end of it.  I felt bad for him.  We called off the push starting
effort.

We stripped off the seat and side cover to expose the battery.  Nick
moved his car around to facilitate giving me a jump start.
Bike started right away.  Put it back together and rode home.

It wasn't until the next morning that I realized my bike never needed
a jump start.  I hadn't hit the switch.  The switch was off the entire
time I was pushing that bike - he was pushing that bike.

What a doof!  I forgot a lot during my two month hiatus.  I even forgot FINE-C.

It wouldn't have happened in broad daylight when I could see the
switch.  It may not have happened if I hadn't been so tired.  It
wouldn't have happened if my battery hadn't seemed jittery at the
start of the trip...it lead me to the wrong conclusion.   But it
happened!  Duh!

Think I've confessed this dumbass moment to my friend?   Not yet

No comments:

Post a Comment