Spring Break Maintenance Clinic - Day 2

 


Today we installed fresh front brake pads on daughter’s bike. This would’ve actually been easier with the bike on the ground and not strapped to a lift, because turning the wheel to the left would’ve created a bigger space to work in, with more light. I’ll remember that for next time. 
 
Next up was a coolant flush. The service manual didn’t warn me that the drain plug for coolant is squarely behind the left muffler. We had pre-read the service manual steps and there was no mention of it. I cussed the Suzuki engineers, who clearly hated mechanics, as we undid the pipes we had meticulously installed the day before. Had I known, I’d have sequenced these jobs a bit better.
 
Finally, the oil change. Mindful of the fact that I had been taking the lead on all the maintenance items so far, I told her I wouldn’t be touching the bike for this part, and it would be 100% her hands doing the work. That was a nice theory but she needed me to loosen both the drain plug and the filter. 
 
The photo is one she had wanted to take, showing off her greasy hands.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment