Getting Back On The Horse

Please help!

As I posted previously, I dropped my Magna about two weeks ago, lowsided it, and cracked the front fork brace. My first accident, and really not all that bad, but it shook my confidence. It happened so quickly!

My wife, who is the original motorcycle enthusiast in the family, has been pretty worried that I would get scared and not get back on the bike. She insisted I upgrade my gear to include some textile pants from NewEnough.com (to complement my full face helmet, gloves, and cruiser jacket which I was wearing when I crashed...)

She also insisted that I ride again as soon as I could sit on a bike. So she loaned me hers -- also a Magna V30 -- a time or two while I was waiting for my replacement part, so that I wouldn't have two solid weeks to play mind games and psyche myself out of ever riding again.

Well, my replacement fork brace came in the mail, I put it on, fired up my Magna, and took it out for a spin, and ... was very nervous going around every corner. It was my least enjoyable ride ever. Even the ride where I wrecked was more enjoyable, because at least I was having fun for most of the ride -- right up to the minute I lowsided the bike! This trip was torture!

I've already gotten lots of support and encouragement "off list" from Maggots who replied directly to me when I posted the tale of my accident. The support and encouragement makes me willing to embarrass myself, and brave the inevitable ridicule that will also come, by confessing that I'm afraid ... afriad of dropping my bike again.

I would welcome any suggestions!

The Rat



1984 Magna V30 Red "Katie" -- my wife's
1984 Magna V30 Black -- as yet unnamed -- mine.

(Today I would name my bike "Cecilia":
You're breaking my heart, you're shaking my confidence...)

No comments:

Post a Comment