Wrenching Up Front

The front end of my V30 Magna hasn't been quite right since I took my lowside ("broke my cherry) in a puddle of water and gravel in the outside of a curve at dusk, last month.

The front fork brace snapped, and there was some sort of lateral twist to my front forks. I have replaced the front fork brace with a stock part (PartsBandit.com), but still notice something's not feeling right in the front end. When I am headed straight down the road, my steering head is pointed a few degrees to the right. The handle bars are not bent. Also, there's a little bit of front end wobble or shimmy that I cannot identify.

The front fork brace fits in place, but is obviously a little bit akimbo. Between the brace and the left fork, where the metal meets, I couldn't slip a piece of paper between. On the right, I could slip a dime between.

I've followed suggestions of this list and have tried loosening the upper and lower pinch bolts on the forks (after removing the fork brace). I tried to shoosh it back into center, but no luck.

I don't think my forks are bent; I have been thinking they were just twisted.

Any other suggestions?


Regards,
The Rat

1984 V30 Magna VF500C (Red) my wife's -- "Katie"
1984 V30 Magna VF500C (Black) mine -- "Raven" (or "nameless here forevermore")

She took her MSF course in 2000. Bought her first bike 8/13/2004.
I took my MSF course 8/31/2004. Bought my first bike 9/18/2004.

No comments:

Post a Comment