Ouch, Damn -- Followup

In response to the story of my crash, I got a number of responses from the group. I thought I'd share a few quotes with the group.

>Hey Ted - sorry to hear about your bike. It can be fixed - don't spend a
>bunch making it perfect right now because there's a chance it'll be
>dropped again in this steep part of the learning curve.

That's true. That's why I started with a 20 year old bike. But now I'm in love with it and don't want to hurt it again!

>Don't be too hard on yourself....Keep the safety gear on and the speeds low, and >keep working at it. I look forward to meeting you at a SABMAG event sometime.

All of this is great advice. But I have to do something about my brain, which is now trying to over-think every move I make. It used to be natural, now I have to analyze every turn to death. Ugh!

>Go get those pants, something with knee and butt armor.

Good advice. I ordered armored riding pants the day after my accident!

>Well, you broke your cherry and got that out of the way.

I hadn't heard it put in those terms exactly, but that's a good way to look at it!

>Welcome to the club. Most of us have done this in some form or other.

That actually makes me feel a lot better!

>i have been there, done that, and have the scars to prove it. anyone that rides for >any length of time will put it down ... "it is the nature of the beast". it sounds like >you learned a lot from it and likely will not put it down (least not for that reason >again).

I feel like I've learned a lot. But I also feel like I'm thinking too much now. I have to get back in the saddle and stay there until I feel comfortable again.

Thanks for all who offered encouragement in my time of (self) doubt.

Regards,
The Rat

1984 Magna V30 Red -- "Katie" (my wife's)
1984 Magna V30 Black -- as yet unnamed (mine)

No comments:

Post a Comment