Crappy Mileage Continues

I continue to have bad mileage with my GL1100. I consistently get 30 mpg while pretty much everyone else who has chimed in on the topic gets upper 30's or 40's.

I changed the plugs. I have checked the brakes and they are not dragging. I ran techron through the fuel system. I made sure the tires are properly inflated. They are.

I have plenty of power.

I have original stock exhaust. I have an after market K&N sponge-type filter that the previous owner installed. I'm wondering whether anyone has experienced a drop in fuel efficiency with an air filter like that?

If this isn't it, I guess I'm gonna have to do something to the carbs. Could the fuel mixture be too rich?

I'm gonna balance the carbs as soon as I buy the 4-carb balancing tool from JCWhitney. Could the carbs be so far out of balance that I get crappy mileage?

Or am I looking at opening up the carbs and adjusting them leaner? (That would be my first carb adjustment job. I've swapped carbs before, but not adjusted them. )

No comments:

Post a Comment