My Bike-Slut Ways


I went to the Dealer this afternoon, hoping to throw a leg over that red 919 they've had sitting there since spring, and damned if they hadn't sold it this past week.

"Do you expect to get any more in?" I asked the 20 year old saleskid.

"We'll get the 08 model in a few months", he replied. "Now, if you want one I can order it for you."

"Well, I wanted to sit on one first! I like what I see and I like what I've read, but I wanted to sit on one." I replied.

"Ergonomics are almost exactly like that VFR over there", he said.

Really? I asked

Almost. he said.

Jim had pointed me toward the VFR when we were discussing "my next bike" around the campfire at Burr Oak. I am certainly more comfortable on the VFR than the CBR. No way I can ride a fireblade. But if I were to buy a VFR it would have to be a fuel-injected pre-VTec one. Although I think the captain america paint job on the 25th anniversary edition VFR is cool.


I'd still like to ride a 919.

My wife laughed at me as we left the dealer. Though she didn't put it in these terms, she was laughing at my "bike slut" ways. I'm always looking for the next bike. I'm not ready to settle down with just one.

4 comments:

  1. I'd like to suggest a Yamaha FJR. I have an 07 with about 39K miles on it. I use it as a three and one half season commuter and my bride allows me at least one, sometimes two two week long trips of four to five thousand miles per trip a year. I like the 6.6 gallon tank and the adjustable windshield, two things I have to have in any bike. I live in west central IL and although it is more bike than I need for 90% of my riding having that power available is nice on occasion especially when I have to use a superslab. My only negative would be the stock windshield as it is excessively noisy in just about any setting for me. I got a windshield from California Scientific that solved the noise problem nicely.

    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the looks and features of the FJR, but am afraid it would be too hot, sitting in traffic. I should give it a test ride, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I owned a 919, and loved it. Comfy, solid performance, and soooo pretty. I don't care what the reviews said, the 919 is just so much better looking than the FJR. And the performance differences for real-life street riding between the two are negligible. (But the FJR had a clock, I think, and the 919 didn't, so there's that.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree ... the 919 looks very fine! Never have had a chance to ride one.

    ReplyDelete