Hit and Run

Working in the yard Sunday afternoon I hear commotion from the front of the house. Before I reached the street, I heard the sounds of squealing tires and a car speeding away. When I arrive at the front street, I see a rider lying flat in the middle of the road, bike on its side, and other neighbors like me moving toward the scene to help. One sets up the bike -- A brand new Suzuki Boulevard S40.

Other gather around the rider. I decide to direct traffic rather than add to the gaper's block. Soon the cops arrive, and the fire truck, and the ambulance.

The onlookers are comforting the rider, and having her stay flat on her back. She's not moving, but I hear her ask someone to assess the damage to her bike. Actually I don't hear her, but I see a neighbor look over the bike, and call back a litany... bent forks, dented tank.

Eyewitnesses saw the black sports car speeding away, one even gave chase, but noone saw the license plate.

Paramedics picked up the rider and put her in the ambulance. She was wearing a full face helmet, blue jeans, short sleeved T-shirt, and riding boots. Her left leg was banged up maybe broken.

At least she was wearing a helmet.

I think the car turned right in front of her, was struck by her, then panicked and fled the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment