Daydreaming while riding

Riding home, eastbound, in rush hour traffic on the city streets. I thought I was paying attention. I noticed the BDC approaching from the right. I was alone in the right lane -- would she mistakenly assume the lane was clear and pull out in front of me? She stopped. Cars ahead were stopped for the light, traffic was bunching up. The step van on my left had already stopped, but there was room in my lane ahead of me and I toodled onward, not knowing that the step van obscured from my sight the car in front of it, crossing traffic, turning in front of me.

I didn't see him.

Thankfully, he saw me. He stopped. I continued.

I kicked myself and swore an oath to post this reminder to the group.

If he hadn't seen me, and he had plenty of reasons not to -- the step van between us, the fact that I had no cover in my lane -- if he hadn't seen me, I'd have T-boned him.

I could've kept this dumbass move to myself. E.g. I didn't tell my wife. But I decided to share in hopes that it helps someone else ride defensively.

Ride safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment