Doctor said stop riding




Been running down a continuing problem with pain in my spine. Been to chiropractors, orthopedic surgeons, neurologists, and physical therapists.

Was talking with my general practioner about something else, and we got onto the topic of my back. He was appalled at what I'd been going through, and how nobody seems to help and in fact they usually make it worse.

We talked about my back. Diagnosed possible ulnar tunnel, which is a completely different diagnosis than what the other guy was treating.

Things were going well.

Then he notices my pants. My alpinestar air-flo mesh pants. The jacket was back in the waiting room on a hanger, or he'd have noticed that too.

"Do you ride a motorcycle?"

"Yes, I do."

"I hate to say this but, you might want to consider not riding for a few weeks and see if your condition improves. Sometimes the vibration from the handlebars combined with a tight grip can exacerbate..."

His voice trailed off. He knew he was asking a lot of me. He knew I was not going to like his suggestion. I could see that he knew from the look in his eye.

First I thought, "2 weeks of prime riding season? Give it up? No way!"

Thought for a moment of saying, "Hell, I'm not riding a Harley. It's not like Iike it's vibrating that much..."

My mind flashed to that scene in "World's Fastest Indian" when, after his heart attack, Burt Munro sees his doctor, and the doctor says: "Looks like your motorcycle riding days are over."

And Burt says, "Like hell they are."

I pondered this for a moment, then recalled, "Well, you know, that might make sense if my symptoms began after motorcycle season started, but actually these symptoms started when there was ice on the roads, so I don't think it's the motorcycle."

He said, "Well, okay, if riding season hasn't changed your symptoms at all, then there's probably no reason to stop riding."

Later I told my wife about it. I said, "They can have my motorcycle when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers..."

Hell of an epitaph.

No comments:

Post a Comment