Best Dressed Biker

A cow-orker of mine, who isn't a rider himself, commented on my riding apparel today.  He said I was the "best dressed biker" ... a commentary on the fact that I always wear my gear. 

I overlooked the fact that I consider myself a "rider" and not a "biker", and I took it as a compliment.  

I wear my gear, and come into the office dressed in my get-up every day.  Folks have gotten used to it.  Out of the two dozen motorcyclists in my office building (who have ever commuted to work) I'm the only one who wears protective over-pants and protective boots.  Most wear helmets, a few wear jackets and / or gloves.  

I get questions sometimes.  What's it made of? Aren't you hot in the summer?  

Some mistake it for rain gear.  Some say, "Good for you!"  Some roll their eyes.  

I enjoy the full protection, and the anonymity, of the full faced helmet.  I change personas when I'm on the bike.  

I've been made fun of.  "What are you -- some sort of superhero?  Is that your super-suit?"  

To which I reply, "Yes, I am, and yes it is."

2 comments:

  1. Biker, no. Rider, YES! I told somebody at work that not to long ago.
    An ASSSHATT was probably who was making fun of you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, you're right. And the all-time most-notable fun maker is an ASSSHAT of our mutual acquaintance.

    ReplyDelete