Pony up for motorcycle parking

In addition to riding motorcycles, my wife and I enjoy visiting state and national parks. We would love to combine the two. . .by riding our motorcycles to the state parks.

However, the fact that we each ride our own bike tends to make that an expensive proposition. . .since the state charges full price for motorcycles.

In my own humble opinion -- but perhaps I'm biased -- I think states should charge motorcycles a reduced fee for park access. Bikes take up less space in the parking lot; my wife and I park two bikes to a single spot. Bikes have lower occupancy than four wheeled vehicles. Plus, they generally consume less fuel. . . shouldn't their use be promoted by the same interests which advocate for the preservation of nature and our park system?

What would it take to successfully lobby our legislators for reduced fees for motorcycles at our state and national parks?

1 comment:

  1. Recently Mrs Rat and I rode to Clifty Falls (Indiana) State Park, and were pleasantly surprised when both of us were granted entrance on a single State Park pass.

    That's not the experience we had when we tried the same thing at Brown County (Indiana) State Park. There we were both required to pay.

    So, perhaps my rant against all Indiana State Parks was a bit premature. Now I don't know which is the exception -- Brown County or Clifty Falls.

    Twas nice of the Clifty Falls ranger to let the both of us in on one pass.

    ReplyDelete