Cannot trailer 2

We own a 5x8 trailer with steel squarebar frame and wooden deck and sides. We have trailered on or the other bike before.

This time we hoped to trailer both side by side.

So we could trailer bikes to Grammas house, where would leave the kids for 3 days while we toured the countryside on a rare getaway. Our first ever overnight bike excursion.

I hate getting the Wing up on the trailer, it is so big and heavy. I bought a new ramp just for the purpose (the 2x12's weren't strong enough) but still the bike bottoms out as the oil pan crests the ramp onto the floor of the trailer. I hate when it does that.

But I got both bikes up there, side by side, and both of them strapped down tight with ratcheting tie downs. But grab one and tug on it, and the bed of the trailer flexed enough to make me think -- these bikes will bump into each other not from any flex in their moorings, but from flex in the bed of the trailer.

Our wooden mulch-hauling trailer just would not do for hauling two bikes.

By now it's nearly 9 oclock and we consider our other option to be me riding mine, my wife trailering hers, with kids of course riding with her in the truck.

But I've had about 6 weeks of hell at work, up to and including today, and I'm tired. I don't want to start an incursion into deer country at night, with my body and mind as fatigued as this.

We'll stay another night. We'll make the journey tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment