First Road Trip on the New Magna

100 miles each way from Indianapolis, IN to Eaton, OH and back probably doesn't qualify as a trip report in Maggotdom, but it is significant to me since it is the first ride out of state for the New Magna.

To sum up the trip: My back hurts!

I know this will be a blinding flash of the obvious to so many on the list. But the ergos on this bike are not suited for even a 100 mile trip, at least for *my* frame.

Feet are forward just enough to arc the back just enough to put pressure at the base of the spine. Not the tailbone, like I expected, but really the small of my back. For this reason, I think a better seat won't really help. It's not my butt that's sore, it's the small of my back.

I noticed the footpegs on the New Magna are forward even compared to the pegs on the V30. The V30 was more of a true standard seating position, and this same trip in 2006 on a V30 was not a source of back pain.

I slabbed I-70 from Indianapolis to exit 1 inside Ohio. US-35 south to Eaton.

For 20 minutes at a time, I hooked my heels on the passenger pegs and laid down on the tank, looking like a frog.

Carberators aside, I may be looking for another bike for better ergonomics.

No comments:

Post a Comment