Surges/Fluctuates at 4000 rpm

The collective is no doubt as tired of hearing about my carb woes as I am weary of reporting them.

But, there is another chapter, and I beg your indulgence to my telling it. And hope that there is some collective wisdom to help me.

Carbs were removed and disassembled, bathed and cleaned, blasted out, and reassembled.

Now the bike doesn't run so freaking hot. It idles at 1000 rpm whether hot or cold. It doesn't surge at idle. It is a new bike! It actually gets me down the road.

But, I've noticed a definite surge at 4000 rpm. It begins to appear at about 3200 rpm, and goes away by 4200 rpm. It is strongest at 4000 rpm. With the clutch pulled in, and the throttle held in one spot, it will fluctuate from 4000 to 4300 rpm.

I've been feeling this as a lumpy power delivery in the 4000 rpm range. I thought I was nuts. Then I thought it was the chain. Then I finally figured out how to reproduce it while it was standing still.

As far as I can tell, the carbs are sync'ed and balanced. As far as I can tell, there is no vacuum leak.

It seems that the limited rpm range where this happens would be a jetting issue? Maybe?

I've heard one suggestion of upgrading the spark wires -- I've seen that in several places as frequently needed upgrade for these "new" magnas.

That will perhaps be my next try, unless there is something else you can think of for me to try...

No comments:

Post a Comment