Slip Sliding Away

Had a slip-sliding experience on the way home from work today, and I'm trying to figure out what happened exactly.

It was about 50 degrees. Within one block of work I entered a roundabout -- some parts of the country call them traffic circles -- and leaned over to the left as I went around the tight circle. Just about time to flick right to exit the roundabout, after about 270 degrees of curvature, my bike suddenly dove toward the pavement. I didn't really have the sense of the rear tire sliding out. Instead it just felt as though the bike was pushed over hard to the left.

I've never experienced anything like it.

I really wish I had a camera or an eye witness who might give me a clue as to what happened.

Those who've experienced a rear wheel losing traction during a hard turn, does this match the description?

Strange, other than the tire being cold, I can't figure what happened. A spot of oil? A patch of sand?

I kept the bike upright. I reflexively pushed the bike up by a firm plant of my left leg and a push. It's not like I meant to do it. It just happened so fast.

6 comments:

  1. I don't think I expressed it very well. I've never had the rear wheel slide out in a hard turn -- well, I did once, but I have no memory of that. I just remember the bike skidding down the pavement and me watching the sparks from the footpegs and muffler grinding on asphalt. But I digress.

    Anyone with slip sliding experience can you validate that when the rear wheel slips out in a hard turn, you may not necessarily feel it slip? Instead it felt like the whole bike just suddenly wanted to lay down.

    Yes, I'm still riding on my almost retired Dunlops. Could be a factor in my near dumbass award today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was lucky. But this is the kick in the pants that I needed to order those Metzlers I've been eying. I know I'm on borrowed time with these Dunlops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the front washed out. Probably some spooge on the road.
    That's why you don't ride 10/10'ths on the street.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait'll you see how that leg feels tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right about the "familiarity breeds contempt" or "familiarity breeds complacency" ... riding the same route every day means I have to be vigilant against assuming I know exactly what conditions I'll find.

    On a recent trip to southern indiana (trip report pending) my wife and I rode past a field where a bunch of monster trucks were playing in the mud.

    The road past the field was coated with the nastiest slimiest goo. Top a rise and there it is ... right before a hard bend to the right. My wife was in the lead and kept hers upright. I had the benefit of seeing her slow
    down and I also made it through with no issues. Luck beats good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. good call! you will be much pleased with the metzelers i am sure. that is what i run ... very
    excellent wear and stick like glue.

    ReplyDelete