Birthday Bike

Bought another bike on eBay.

As I mentioned last week, my wife cracked her little V30. This week I bought a 1982 Gold Wing Standard on eBay - just in time for my birthday.

This is my second time trying a GL1100 -- this time it's the unfaired version.

I was after a GL1100 Standard when I bought the GL1100 Interstate last time. My goal was to strip it down to a Naked Standard. But, I decided that the fully faired versions lose a lot of their value when they are stripped. Since I wasn't sure if I would like the handling/performance of the end result, I was reluctant to make alterations to it. I sold it after a year without having stripped it down.

This time I figured I'd buy one that was already a standard. Been watching for one for a while.

My wife was supportive. She gets the better end of the deal from her perspective ... she'll be riding my 1994 V45 while I am riding the 1982 GL1100. I'll get this whole "naked gold wing" thing out of my system. I'll get to see if I like it or not. If not, I can probably turn it around and sell it for at least what I paid for it, maybe more. Long as I don't crack it up.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats! I can't wait to follow you through the Hills 'o Brown and see the sparks flying from the pegs!

    I like the naked GoldWing look too. I hope you like this one. I assume it looks something like this:
    http://wrappedtogo.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/dscf0008.jpg


    What is the weight difference and power difference between your v45 and this wing?

    Has your wife tried riding across her nemesis again? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the new bike! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The GL1100 that our son had for a while. Handled like a much smaller bike than an 1100. Since you bought it on e-bay, is it a local seller or will you have to go get it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine's a little rougher looking than that, but yes, that's the basic idea.

    I used to know power and weight ratios for comparison, but I've forgotten. I'll have to look it up. The GL1100 (naked) was a fast bike in its day.

    You know, this puts me on a boxer again. Brian and I will be feeling so good, sitting all upright. Of course, he wouldn't be caught dead on a Honda. And boxer purists claim that true boxers have to have two
    cylinders and be made in Bavaria.

    I can't afford a Valk, so I'll ride a naked Wing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the new Wing. Ride it, get it out of your system. Then, get a real bike!!!!

    ReplyDelete