Jezebel is back!


After yesterday's strange behavior (tach suddenly would not drop below 8k) I tore into the bike looking for clues this morning. When I took the carb rack off, and turned it over, I noticed that the throttle plates were indeed being held open.

Then I heard something fall out of the carb rack and onto the garage floor. It was a metal "nut" mounted to a rectangular piece of sheet metal. I recognized it as one of the mounts that hold the airbox to the frame. I examined the throttle plates again, and they were fully closed.

This little nut had lodged externally in the levers and runners that connect all four throttle mechanisms together. It had held the throttle plates open.

My theory is that this bracket was dislodged when I had the little wipeout in March (slipping in an oil slick at a stop light). It must've rattled around in the "V", under my carbs for a few months, and jiggled its way into place wheere it interfered with my throttle.

That was easy!

Well, while I had the carbs off, I installed that Dave Dodge needles shim and jets that I bought off Charley Sutton at SME '07. I've been waiting, figured I'd install them next time I tore into my carbs, or next time I got bored and wasn't able to ride. Well, today was the day ... I was holding the carb rack in my hands, I may as well go for it.

The 105 jets and shims installed easy as pie. The only troubles were self inflicted, alzheimer-type troubles like taking apart the float bowls I'd already worked on. I can't remember what I just did, especially when both halves of the carb rack look so similar. I had to mark the ones I'd worked on with a sharpie!

I found a half-inch diameter blob of goo under one of the diaphrams. At first it looked like some ingested air cleaner foam. But I've got a stock cloth air cleaner, totally intact. The blob smeared easily and uniformly ... no indication of foam bits. Not sure what it was, perhaps a bit of goo that was missed from when I cleaned the carbs in '07. I didn't see anything else like it anywhere else in the carbs.

Everything back together, and it took a little cranking to get it to start. But it roared to life. I swear the sound is different, just from the jetting, but I could be nuts. It could be just that sweet V4 sound rushing back into my ears.

I know the real proof is in the driving, but I haven't had the chance yet. Maybe after the kids are in bed.

3 comments:

  1. Be glad the little nut didn't drop down into the cylinders. Mucho damage to be had that way. I still have the piston from the original motor that was in my V65 Magna when I got her. You can clearly see the imprint of an 8mm bolt, dropped from the airbox by a previous owner. I ended up replacing the motor as that one wouldn't run for some strange reason... maybe because the bolt had lodge into the cylinder wall and completely cracked the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on getting her back on the road!

    ReplyDelete