Suddenly, Electric


Electric Motorcycles are suddenly everywhere in the moto press. I've never taken them seriously, thinking of them more as a toy or gadget than a viable option. But the more I see, the more it begins to dawn on me ... these machines are the product of advances in technology. They're not like the electric bikes of even a few years ago. Maybe my garage will one day be home to an electric bike.

Many new bikes have emerged on the market in the past 6 - 9 months, and rumor has it more will be announced in the coming year.

Full Story >>

3 comments:

  1. You can have your electric. I don't want to see a "Red Barchetta" era in my lifetime! Internal combustion all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the motorcycle industry is where photography was in the mid-90's. Digital was catching on fast, but it wasn't up to par with film. And the old-schoolers didn't think it ever would get there. Now, 15 years later, with megapixels available by the dozen, costing pennies, good luck finding a lab to process, much less print, your grainy arty pushed Tri-X. Just run it through the Holga filter on Picnik. At best it's been reduced to a cottage industry. Once the new generation grows up knowing nothing else, film will go the way of the lithograph. Will internal combustion do the same?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don, you're right, folks couldn't foresee it at the time. I certainly scoffed at the idea. "Give up my SLR for a digital cam? No way!" Gone the way of 8 track tapes. Who can see past the current limitations to the realm of possibilities. Once technology overcomes the major complaints, one day we'll wake up and say, "I can't believe I used to have an internal combustion engine."

    ReplyDelete