10 Most Beautiful Drives In The United States

How Stuff Works posted "Top 10 Most Beautiful Drives in the United States" and I wondered, how many of them would make good motorcycle rides?

Certainly #10, the Big Island, Hawaii, would be a great ride, but I'm not sure if motorcycle rentals are available on the island.

#9, Florida Keys Highway isn't what I typically call a "motorcycle road" but would be a unique trip.

#8, Finger Lakes Region, New York, would make for a pleasant 2-wheeled experience.

#7, Pacific Coast Highway would be fantastic. I've driven this many times on four wheels and would love to ride it.

#6, Going To The Sun road, Montana. While this sounds absolutely fantastic, the article doesn't present enough information about the quality of the road for me to judge. The fact that its mountainous, and closed half of the year for snow, means it would be technically challenging. I wonder what the pavement is like, if there is pavement?

#5, Skyline Drive Virginia. Oh, yes!

#4, Seward Highway, Alaska. Again, the setting promises unrivaled beauty, but I wonder how suitable this road is for bikes? I know some of Alaska's highways are pretty rugged. More research is required.

#3, San Juan Skyway, Colorado. This is definitely on my list.

#2, Brandywine Valley, Pennsylvania. Sounds interesting, and easier to reach for those of us in the eastern half of the U.S.

#1, Patchwork Parkway, UT, promises desert beauty, but one wonders about the environment. Heat, availability of fuel, and protection from the elements are bigger concerns for motorcyclists than for folks riding in an SUV with air conditioning.




No comments:

Post a Comment