Every Day Should Be A Ride To Work Day

I have to admit, I have a snobbish attitude about the annual "Ride To Work Day" which this year falls on Monday, June 21st.

I know I should be supportive. After all, it's promoting my "way of life", advancing the cause of motorcyclists, and educating the ignorant masses about the goodness of motorcycles. All of that should be good and should merit my endorsement.

But instead, I feel like saying, "Every Day Should By A Holiday*" er, I mean "Ride To Work Day".

I don't need a special occasion to make me ride my motorcycle to work. On the contrary, riding to work takes an ordinary day and makes it a special occasion.

Having said that, here's the "Ride To Work Day" press release, blah blah blah

Motorcycle and scooter riders' 19th annual commuting day is this coming Monday, June 21st. Participation in the yearly demonstration is estimated to triple the number of riders on the road. Motorcycle and scooter groups and organizations actively encourage riders to commute by cycle on this day. On Ride to Work Day, motorcycle and scooter commuters seek improved employer recognition and support for this form of transportation and increased public and government awareness of the positive value of riding.

Adding more commuting motorcycles and scooters makes urban parking easier and traffic flow better, according to Ride to Work, a non-profit advocacy organization. Studies have also shown that across the same distances, riders reach their destinations faster than those using automobiles. Most motorcycles and scooters also consume less resources per mile than automobiles. "Riding to work on this day is fun and highlights the positive value of motorcycling. For many people, riding is a socially responsible form of mobility that saves energy, helps the environment and provides a broad range of other public benefits," stated Andy Goldfine, this year's event organizer.


The promotional website is: www.ridetowork.org





* with apologies to The Dandy Warhols, whose fine song, "Every Day Should Be A Holiday", has nothing to do with motorcycles, or witless diatribes by motorcycle enthusiasts like me.

12 comments:

  1. You are right, every day should be a ride to work day!! I just haven't had the weather to do that here in Minnesota. It has rained, rather stormed, almost everyday for the last month! I also need to get a summer friendly helmet! My vents don't seem to vent. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hummmm.........are you suggesting that I find some kind of work to ride to next Monday? I suppose that would make Monday a special occasion. :) That's the trouble with retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be a good problem to have. Put it this way, if you must work, you may as well ride there. That way there'll be at least one enjoyable part to the day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are missing the point. It is to encourage fellow riders to do more than be a weekend rider.
    I work with quite a few people that have bikes but are reluctant to ride to work. Downtown riding is a bit overwhelming at times. But if more of us do it, then cagers start noticing us more. And they start wondering if it is a good option to commute.
    It is a win, win situation. Kind of like a telethon. It is a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right, I missed the point. I blame the press release, which talked about it in terms of social activism. The press releases talks about increasing employer and general public awareness of motorcycling.

    But your interpretation, placing an emphasis on encouraging fellow riders to commute on their bikes... I can accept that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just read my previous comment. My apologies if I came across rude. I am in FL on vacation and typed it out very quickly. I can also see why you looked at it the way you were.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No worries, Ryde4Ever. Blogs and their comments are by their "to the point". I took your bluntness as efficiency rather than rudeness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In the UK we run Ride to Work day in July - I agree completely with your post, I love riding to work as it gets my brain working and gives me something to look forward to at the end of the day. Even though 2/3 of UK bike trips are for work or education, most non-bikers believe that motorcycling is a leisure pursuit and therfore could be banned without too much problem. The suggestion that we only ride to work one day in the year runs the risk of reinforcing that misconception...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the encouragement, Highwaylass. Which of your three bikes do you ride to work? I have a friend who strictly rotates his rides. Bike number 1 one day, number 2 the next, number 3 the third day, then back to 1. Others choose the bike like one might choose a pair of shoes. It's a chilly day, I'll take the fully-faired bike.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Rat. Monday is the first time since I acquired my bike that I will be able to ride it to work. I usually have to pick up or drop off my 9y.o. daughter... but she's at camp. Looking forward to it, and I aspire to be (someday) an every day rider like you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brammofan, congrats on the new bike. I'm looking forward to a trip report from you on your first ride to work.

    Does the Enertia have passenger pegs? My eight-year-old daughter rides with me. State law says feet must reach the passenger pegs, and minors must wear helmets. I didn't ride with my kids til I had a few years experience.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with ryde4ever on the point that its a good motivator for those that aren't already doing it. Maybe it will light a fire under the folks who usually 4-wheel it in to do it more often.

    If you ride in every day - that's awesome, thanks for carrying the torch all year long!

    ReplyDelete