Compressed Air Dent Removal

When I bought the Magna 3 years ago, it had a small (less than 2 inch diameter) dent in the upper right hand corner of the tank.

I've lived with it for three years. Occasionally when bored, I've done research on motorcycle dent removal.

I've seen YouTube videos of guys removing dents in motorcycle tanks using bent rods and a hammer, and essentially hammering out the dent from the inside. That seems a little dangerous for an amateur like me to try. The inside of the tank is pristine, with no rust. I fear misuse of a hammer and a rod might scratch the inside liner of the tank, leaving it prone to rust.



Then I saw this technique of removing dents from car doors and motorcycle tanks called the "Compressed Air" method.

By the name of it, I had visions of sealing up the tank and blowing air into the tank until the dents popped out.

But that's not how it works. It uses rapid changes in temperature to draw the dent out.

First heat the dent with a hair dryer, for about a minute.

Then spray the dent with a can of compressed air, like the kind sold at office supply stores for cleaning schmutz out of computer keyboards.

The rapid expansion of the compressed air sucks the heat out of the surroundings. There are warnings all over the can not to spray your flesh, or be prepared to get treatment for frost bite.

I saw this demonstrated successfully online for a car body panel with a dent.



I also saw someone attempt it on a motorcycle tank -- and it didn't work.



But a can of compressed air is $3.00. I figured I would give it a shot.


My results were the same as the Ducati owner in the video. No luck.

I'll find a Paintless Dent Repair place that'll do it for me.

1 comment:

  1. Good post. With the tank, I would think that you need to make sure the gas level is well below the dent, even most of the way down. Since gas is so volatile it is going to be pulling the heat out of the the metal quicker than just air. At the same time gas vapors floating out of a tank near a hot electric appliance are a little nerve racking too!
    I bet if that Ducati own would have tapped inside the tank with a rubber tipped something that it would have popped out.

    ReplyDelete