Uniform Measures

I've been thinking about uniform measuring criteria for motorcycles, since I posted my last entry, "How does the ST stack up?"

It was eye opening to me when I first discovered that displacement was a fairly meaningless measure. Displacement is used in the motoring world -- whether two or four wheel variety -- as a rough measure of power.

It's misleading, however. In the four wheeled world, as well as two, there are beasts with large displacement with relatively small power. I remember this from the days when I owned a Ford Explorer. The Ford SOHC V6 generates almost as much power as the Ford V8.

Cylinder count, and displacement, isn't a good indicator of power.

If not displacement, and not cylinder count, then what shall we use as a measure?

Why, horsepower, of course!

Except horsepower itself is only part of the equation. A hundred horsepower in a 400 pound bike, or a 600 pound bike would render a different rider experience.

So what do you call it then, this weight-adjusted horsepower factor? Take the weight, and divide it by the horsepower, and you get a figure which can be used to compare one bike to another.

How many pounds does each pony have to move?

The same could be done for torque. How many foot-pounds of torque does the engine generate? How does that compare to the weight that the engine must move?

Of course, we could find some numerical formula to express, in scientific terms, every aspect of the bike, and we would still fall short of describing the bike.

It's not a mere machine, and it's not a mere science. There is no formula for the perfect bike. Each of us, as humans, will have our own preferences, and will interface with a bike in our own individual way. No formula can predict which bike will bring maximum enjoyment to which rider.

There is no substitute for a test drive.

3 comments:

  1. Power to weight calculation is a decent indicator of acceleration and basic engine performance.
    But as you put so well, depending on our type of riding and expectations of the riding experience it is only one of a myriad of factors. For instance, riding position is probably higher on my list than power. I want to be upright with lots of cornering clearance. That narrows down my choices to a few groups of bikes. Adventure, Dual-sport, Standard or naked/motard. Cruisers make me slouch and usually drag various parts. Sport bikes kill my old wrists and back. Here is a nice Power toe Weight calculator: http://www.dragsource.com/index.php?navselect=calculators&calctoview=7

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words.

    You make a good point -- each of us have our own priorities. You mention that you rank seating position higher than power. Seating position is pretty important to me -- it's one of the key reasons for me wanting to get rid of the Magna. For me, though, I haven't tried as wide a variety of seating positions as you have. I want to give a slightly sporty position (nothing too aggressive) a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have targeted a good bike with the ST.
    Reliable, functional with a touch of sport.
    It really is hard to go wrong with a Honda. Funny, I just realized that is the only one of the 4 Japanese brands that I have never owned.

    ReplyDelete