Naming A Motorcycle

I mentioned earlier, (see "The Motorcycle Name Game") that I've been thinking about ST names before I actually own a bike.

I've been stuck at work, working lots of overtime, and keeping myself entertained by daydreaming about the bike I would buy.

I mentioned to some riding friends that I was thinking about names for my non-existent bike, and they gave me a hard time.

Some thought I was losing my mind. "Geez, just wait," said Carl. "The bike will tell you its name very soon after you buy it."

Some reject the whole idea of naming a bike. "The closest I come to anthropomorphizing the bike is to call it a "she" occasionally," said Pete. "I confess I just don't get the whole idea of naming one's bike."

Another said, "My policy is, don't name anything that doesn't come when you call it."

I said, "By that line of reasoning, my kids should be nameless."

Tradition among Honda ST owners dictates that the bike names have "ST" in them. I'm not aware of any other makes or models that have such a tradition. They may exist, I'm just don't know of any.

My FJR-riding friend, who has changed engines in his bike more times that I have changed oil in my Honda, quipped that if he were obliged to use the letters F, J and R in the name, it would be something like "F-ing Jury Rigged", or "F-ing Just Replaced". Not a happy bike owner!

I wonder what percentage of the bike riding population have names for their bikes?

1 comment:

  1. Only one of my bikes has a name, so maybe your friend that said they tell you if they want a name is right ;). Ruby Thursday is not quite a Rolling Stones fan and usually shortens herself to Ruby. The Triumph is The Bike With No Name; while I don't know yet about the Africa Twin - it hasn't come to live with me properly yet, but I suspect it may be an Eric.

    ReplyDelete