Road Grace vs. Road Rage

I was riding my bike to work, in morning rush hour traffic, when a car nearly took me out. This is not an uncommon occurrence. In fact, this is a common scenario of the type that a rider simply has to be prepared for.

The driver and I were side by side, heading the same direction. The driver was on my left. She pulled a half a car length ahead of me them began to merge into my lane. Clearly she was unaware I was there. I was riding in her blind spot.

 No problem. I saw this coming. I squeezed the brakes and dropped behind her. This happens at least once a day when I commute, and I don't think anything of it.  I don't get upset, I just accept it and move on.

A moment later she realized her mistake, returned to her lane, and waved an apology. I waved a dismissal . . . No problem.   This happens occasionally.

 Then at the next stop light, the two of up drove up side by side to sit and wait for the green. She rolled down her window. I could see now she was an older lady. She called out to me, "I am SO sorry. I
didn't see you. I just feel terrible."  She was distraught.

It's hard to converse with a full face helmet on.  I've found the older generation especially are intimidated by motorcyclists -- perhaps some ancient stigma associated with bikes from a by-gone era.  We're not all Hell's Angels any more.

I opened my face plate, but the chin bar still obscures my mouth and, I'm sure, makes it harder to hear me.  It makes lip reading impossible.

"Don't worry about it," I replied, cheerfully.  "It's not a problem at all."

She apologized profusely again, and I again reassured her there was no harm done.

The light turned green, and we both continued on our way.

It occurred to me that I had just witnessed, and participated in, an incident of "Road Grace", the opposite of "Road Rage."

How many cagers would be so thoughtful as to apologize for a lane changing indiscretion?

How many motorcyclists would accept the apology if offered?


No comments:

Post a Comment